Thursday, August 6, 2026

Remembering The King James Bible

Henry VII was the victor in the War of the Roses and the first king of the House of Tudor. His daughter, Margaret, married a king of Scotland. The granddaughter of Henry, Elizabeth I, would be the last Tudor monarch when she died childless. Her nearest relative was the King of Scotland. He inherited the crown of England, where he would reign as James I. This was the beginning of the House of Stuart.

One king ruling over both countries formed a personal union, known as the Union of the Crowns. This would last for over a century until the two countries joined, in 1707.

James I began the overseas settlements that would become the British Empire. Spain, Portugal and, France were already developing empires. The settlement of Jamestown, in Virginia which is regarded as the beginning of the United States, was named for him.

James got something else named for him, one of the few best-known books anywhere. His predecessor, Elizabeth I, had started the Anglican Church. James would commission the translation of the Bible that would become known as the King James Bible. It has old terminology, like "thee" and "thou", because that was the common speech in 1611.

Since the King James Bible was commissioned after James had become King of England, as well as Scotland, I see it as a symbol of the bond between England and Scotland. The conference that led to the King James Bible was held in Hampton Court Palace. Here is a link to the posting about it.

https://markmeeksideas.blogspot.com/2016/07/hampton-court-palace-and-king-james.html?m=0 

When Scottish fans visited Boston during the 2026 World Cup, people were mystified by why they have a habit of putting traffic cones on the heads of statues. I see this as a reenactment of Scotland also putting it's crown on England.

This statue of Charles Rolls, in Monmouth in Wales, once had a traffic cone on it's head. Now I am sure that someone from Scotland put it there. Wales joined England before Scotland did. Image from Google Street View.


No comments:

Post a Comment