Thursday, August 27, 2026

What Would Charles II Think Today?

Charles I was the second king of the House of Stuart. His father, James I, had been King of Scotland but had also inherited the Throne of England when his relative, Elizabeth I the last of the House of Tudor, had died childless. This began the Union of the Crowns, in 1603, which would last for over a century until England and Scotland united politically. 

James I had also commissioned the King James Bible and began settlements overseas. Jamestown, in Virginia, is considered as the beginning of the United States and is named for him. Virginia was named for Elizabeth I, who died childless, "The Virgin Queen".

Charles I ended up being overthrown and executed by the forces of Oliver Cromwell, who led the Puritans and thought it was his divine mission to overthrow the monarchy. His son, also named Charles, escaped by hiding in an oak tree at Worcester and going into exile.

After the death of Oliver Cromwell the Puritans fell out of favor and Charles was able to return and claim the throne as Charles II. This is known as The Restoration. Some of the Puritans left altogether and this is where America's Pilgrims and Puritans came from.

Charles II built a hunting lodge within walking distance of where I was born, in the Forest of Dean. It became the hotel and restaurant known as the Speech House. Two images from Google Street View.


Charles II had a brother with the title of Duke of York. Charles gave him some lands in newly explored North America and this is where the name of New York comes from. Toronto was also originally named York. The trees that were used to build the Mayflower were harvested next to this hunting lodge.

Portugal had preceded England as a colonial power and had settlements on the west coast of India. Charles II married a Portuguese princess and Portugal gave him a village next to a bay as a dowry. The Portuguese name for it was "Bom Bahia", which means "Good Bay". The name was anglicized into Bombay and the village is now the city of Mumbai.

The Latin form of Charles is Carolus and Charles I and II would get North and South Carolina named for them. The city of Charleston was named for Charles II.

I wonder what Charles II would think of Mumbai, New York City, Toronto and the Carolinas today.

No comments:

Post a Comment